Thursday, April 7, 2011

You kids gotta stop listening to that devil music, ya hear!?

My current favorite song is "Your Hands" by JJ Heller. I decided to read the comments on the Youtube video that I just linked to after listening to it 20 times yesterday. I noticed that said "This comment has received too many negative votes." This provoked curiosity in me; However, I half expected it to be someone telling Christians that they're brainwashed or someone else saying that Allah is the one true god. (Trends that I've noticed in songs that I listen to on Youtube.) so I clicked 'show'. What I read shocked me:

"This music is of the devil. Jesus will not accept contemporary "christian" music as worship to Him!"

Um, what!? I did know some people who believed similar things but I don't know if they believed to that extreme. I went to this guy's page and he commented similar things on songs such as "Above All" and "Come,  Now is the Time to Worship" These are heartfelt worship songs, they're not even bad.

This reminded me of the time that I read that the number one thing that turns people off to God is Christians. Shocking? I thought it was when I first read it but I honestly don't anymore. I have watched Christians talk about loving others but condemn everyone who doesn't agree with them. I have watched Christians tell people that what they're doing is wrong and go out and do the same thing two days later. I have read a Christian posting something on Facebook calling a girl the devil's daughter.

I love these people, don't  get me wrong but I don't want to be put in the same category as them. I want to be known as the girl who loved people unconditionally, the way that God does. Remember that if you call yourself a Christian, you are representing God everywhere you go. Please for all of our sake, don't be one of those Christians that turn people off to God by doing the opposite of what they say or being arrogant. People don't appreciate hypocrisy or arrogance. People don't appreciate Christians telling them that everything they do is of the devil. I don't even appreciate that.

Here are two principles that I try to live by:

"So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."-1 Corinthians 10:31

 My dearest friend once said "Speak the truth in love. Truth without love is not truth. Likewise, truth without love is not love."

2 comments:

Jamie Nicole said...

Hi Emily. I just want to confirm that I read your blog all the time, for example I just read this entry AGAIN for the second time and I pressed the 'like' button. Yup. I did indeed.

(:
J

Anonymous said...

Quote I read somewhere:" At one time even the oldest hymn was contemporary Christian music." Something that stuck with me from one of my Church History Classes. At one time it was considered controversial to sing any song in church the cry of the reformers was "Sola Scriptura" or Scripture alone. Then the debate was on allowing any song not from the Psalms or scripture.
BTW, Good blog. found your blog when I was searching for info on the hymn by the same name.