Friday, March 25, 2011

Smooth Talker

Sometimes when I was a young teenager, I  would read the dictionary for my own amusement. There is nothing particularly interesting about the dictionary as a whole but I am fascinated with words, how to use them and what they mean. It satisfies me to string words together on a piece of paper and create something beautiful. I love the process of trial and error looking for different words and arranging them until they sound just right. There is just something about writing that makes me feel like I have complete freedom to express whatever is on my mind, not having to hold back. 
However, talking is a different story. I sometimes stumble over my words and say things that don't make any sense. Sometimes I don't think before I speak. It is much easier realized that words can cut people down after speaking them rather than just writing them down and crossing them off. It is easier to uplift somebody in an anonymous note than it is to muster up the courage to approach that person. It is easier to give words from God to people in writing than it is in speech but then you don't get to see peoples' reactions to what God has to say to them.
...If only I could apply the same process to talking as I do to writing, I would be a smooth talker.

No comments: