Friday, July 8, 2011

Revelations from Dora the Explorer/my 2 year old niece.

I have been watching my 2 year old niece a lot in the last couple of weeks and little kids are the ones who teach me the most about God. I know I posted on Twitter a couple of days ago that "If you want to know what a childlike faith is like, watch Dora the Explorer with a 2 year old."...  The other day, it came on and she started screaming "YAY DORA!!" and clapping...needless to say, she was excited about Dora being on. Why don't we get that excited about God?  The faith of a child..they could care less what other people think of them getting excited. When they get excited, they get EXCITED.

At one point in the show, Dora and Boots call out "the Map" and they sing an annoying little song about it...but the map shows the three points where Dora goes to get to her destination...and yes, where they need to go is very obvious...but Dora always asks the viewers how she should get there...sometimes where God wants us to go is very obvious but we don't know until we ask Him.

In every episode, there is a sly little fox named Swiper that always "swipes" something that Dora and Boots need (really, he just throws it somewhere else)...and they ask the viewers where to find it...but it always gets them off their path a little bit. When we stray off of our path, we should ask God to help us get back...even if it means finding something we lost or was stolen. (metaphorically speaking, sometimes physically....trusting in Him to provide our every need.)

Also, my niece always asks me (well tells me) to blow on her food when it's hot...even if it's every bite. She knows how to do this herself but would rather have me do it...or when she gets a cut or a scrap, she asks someone to kiss it...then she will start crying and kiss it herself...and then stop crying again...and have someone else kiss it again...and stops crying again....why aren't we this dependent on God to "blow on our food" (complete dependency) and heal our cuts and scrapes?

3 comments:

Jamie Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jamie Nicole said...

emily;
wow. this is so precious. my niece isn't old enough to teach me these kinds of things yet but i can't wait until she is! i can't remember the last time i didn't second-guess myself on something because i was worried about what other people would think versus what God would think. it's like the getting excited thing... that new winnie the pooh movie just came out and i totally want to go see it. but i hesitate because i wonder little things like "would my friends think it's lame?" this kind of thinking conditions our minds to fearing people, instead of fearing God.

i miss my carefree child-like sense of exploration and joy. i can't wait to get back to campus so we can go buy coloring books and crayons and have a "creative day" (:

oh! and HAPPY BIRTHDAY again, even though i said it on facebook.
p.s. i don't know why my last comment was deleted... oh well, this is pretty much the jest of it. haha

always,
jamie nicole

Jeannie Miller said...

Emily,

Once again you have amazed me! LOL Dora the Explorer has become the bane of my existence but you show that we can hear from God even while watching the show. Jesus said that when we come to Him we're to be like little children! :) Good blogpost!!